The chilli con carne on our dining menu has proved popular with guests. Usually served in the main dining room, it is also a dish of choice for easy alfresco dining. Here’s the recipe.
Ingredients for Chilli Con Carne
Serves 15 to 20 people.
- 2 packs smoked bacon lardons
- 2 large onions diced
- 4 sticks celery diced
- 3 large packs minced beef
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 red peppers diced
- 2 tins red kidney beans
- 1 small pack mushrooms sliced
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tube of tomato puree
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 4 large squares plain dark chocolate (may contain milk)
- Cup of red wine
Seasoning for Chilli Con Carne
- 1 x teaspoon dried crushed chillies
- 1 x teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 x dessert spoon dried oregano
- 1 x tablespoon dried paprika
- Small handful of fresh basil leaves chopped
Variations on Chilli Con Carne
For a vegetarian version leave out the minced beef and lardons and add more mushrooms, peppers and celery and a vegetarian stock cube. Leave out chocolate for vegan. If you have guests turn up unexpectedly add another tin of red kidney beans and/or chopped tomatoes to make it go a little further.
How to cook Chilli Con Carne
Fry the bacon lardons with a little olive oil to stop them sticking. Stir frequently. Dice all the vegetables as you go along. By the time your’re done dicing each one it will be time to add. When the lardons are starting to brown add the diced onions, then celery and garlic, then minced beef. Stir and break up the minced beef as it’s cooking. Cook and stir/break-up for about 10 minutes. Add diced peppers and mushrooms and stir. Add the seasoning and mix thoroughly. Add red kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, chocolate and stir. Leave to simmer (bubbling) on very low heat while the rice cooks for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve on bed of rice with garlic bread, sour cream and grated red cheddar on the side.